Friday, July 24, 2009

Cold turkey.

Where did the term "going cold turkey" come from, anyway? I've been looking for my Dictionary of Cliches but can't find it. According to the Online Etymology site, "Cold turkey is a food that requires little preparation, so 'to quit like cold turkey' is to do so suddenly and without preparation." Hmm...

Either way, I'm a bit nervous about the task ahead of me this weekend. No soda! No caffeine! No carbonated bliss!

David suggested I try reducing my soda intake a little slowly, but I told him I know myself too well. It's a slippery slope. If I have one glass of pop, why not two? Heck, three or four?

The best way for me to do this is to treat it like a bandage that needs to come off. Just rip it off and get it over with all at once.

The withdrawal headaches will happen over the weekend, hopefully leaving me feeling a bit better by Monday morning. I'm not quitting soda pop just because of the calories and sugar intake reduction, but definitely also because of the caffeine.

Another positive reason to quit is that I'll be less dehydrated. I try to be mindful of drinking enough water each day, but I know that caffeine strips the body of water.

I'm looking at the soda pop 'rehab' venture as the biggest hurdle for me to face, at least at first. If I know I can break this bad habit, others might not seem so difficult.

For now, I don't plan to do much calorie counting. Gotta get this one thing done right first, then move along to the next phase. However, I also know to be mindful that I don't start trying to replace the pop with things like chocolate, or other sugary beverages.

I'm looking longingly at the empty glass in front of me...

But also happy to be starting this positive change that will hopefully lead to a chain of positive and healthy events.

Let's get all fuzzy feel-good now.

No comments:

Post a Comment